Insurance: For Your Protection

Most people go through life hoping that something unfortunate does not happen to them. Nobody plans on getting in an accident, falling ill with cancer, or suffering a heart attack. But sadly, these things do happen to people. And as hard as it is to admit, there is a chance that one of these things could happen to you. That's one reason why medical insurance is so important. No, medical insurance won't stop you from getting hurt. But it will reduce your financial burden if you do happen to become injured or ill one day. We are happy to share more about medical insurance on this blog.

Tips For Filing Your Claim For Veteran Atomic Cancer Compensation


Are you a veteran who has been diagnosed with cancer? Do you believe your cancer can be traced back to your exposure to radiation during your military service? If so, the Department of Veteran Affairs provides a process for you to receive financial compensation. For example, Veteran Atomic Cancer Compensation may be available to those who were exposed to ionizing radiation as part of their work with nuclear weapons. Here are some tips to keep in mind if you intend to move forward with a claim for compensation.

Gather Both Military and Medical Records

In order to obtain compensation from the VA, you will need to prove that you have cancer and that you were enrolled in the military and assigned to a project that put you in contact with radiation. Pull your medical and military records and make multiple copies for the upcoming filings you will have to submit. If you have any additional evidence, put it down in writing or get an expert to verify on your behalf if possible.

File the Right Form to Start the Process

According to the VA's website, one of the most important forms needed for filing for compensation is VA Form 21-0966. The name of this form is Intent to File a Claim for Compensation and/or Pension, or Survivors Pension and/or DIC. In plain English, this is the form that will get the ball rolling towards compensation for your exposure to radiation. Keep in mind that this form simply notifies the VA of your intentions, however, and that you will need to fill out additional forms and provide additional information in order to actually succeed in your claim.

Hire Professional Help

While filling out the above form is a short and simple process, actually providing your evidence to the VA will be a more complicated matter that will take some time. For best results, you should look into working with an attorney, a claims agent with VA experience or another organization that aids veterans with this specific task. The professional you hire will know the best practices for conveying the right information to the VA. You'll be able to take your evidence and turn it into a compelling narrative that makes it clear that your cancer came from your exposure to radiation during your time in the military.

Appeal If Necessary

Not every claim made to the VA for compensation is accepted, and it's certainly possible you could get shot down on the first try, even with professional help. But assuming you already have an attorney or other VA-claims professional at your side, you will be able to respond to the denial and submit an appeal quickly.

For more information, contact a company such as Atomic Veterans.


10 February 2023